Steps to Follow when using Volunteers in your department:
Volunteers can no longer begin their “volunteering” assignment prior to their appointment packets being completed in full and approved by the Department, Dean’s Office/Administrative Affairs, Dean of Clinical Affairs and/or Privacy Office.
- Have each volunteer give the appropriate departmental supervisor any personal or professional information relevant to the services he or she will provide. The supervisor should be a faculty or staff member who has responsibility for the programs for which the volunteer is being selected.
- Ensure that departmental supervisors obtain the approval of the department chairman before assigning any volunteer to the department/unit.
- Upon selection, submit a Volunteer request form packet to Pynie and Louise. The activities may cease at any time at the request of the volunteer or at the discretion of the University.
- Effective April, 2002, the College of Medicine no longer allows volunteer service from any foreign national not authorized to work in the United States. (Some examples are; H-4, O-3, L-2, F-2, M-2, TD, R-2) (B1/B2 only allowed for short period/3 weeks or less).
- Current H-1B’s are prohibited from volunteer service as they cannot work in any position that could be paid a salary.
- J-2′s are also prohibited from volunteer service unless they have employment authorization/EAD Card.
For further information regarding Volunteer Workers, please contact the Worker’s Compensation Office at 392-4940.